Sunday, October 19, 2008

Banana-Egg-Soup

There are many types of bananas here in Mexico. This is just two of the different kinds. We all know and love the yellow ones on the right with a hint of green on the ends. (The perfect way to eat a banana according to me and the nastiest way ever to every Mexican I have meet so far. May I also add that Daniel himself likes his bananas so brown and old that I think they are to far gone even for banana bread.) Any way back to the story; the one on the left I had never before seen until I moved here.
They call this banana "Platano Macho." And to be honest it is very dry. Not my favorite. But nothing had me perpared for how I was going to see this thing cooked. So my mother-in-law had soup cooking on day and it smelled great when I walked in but when I lifted the lid I almost died.
From the picture the soup looks harmless but imagine lifting the lid to find eggs not stirred in and bananas floating with bacon, cilantro and little brown beans. I did not know what to say because seconds before I expressed how hungry I was and how the food smelled so "Rico" delicious. So I swallowed hard and grabbed my bowl.
My first scoop, just the "Platano" to see up close if it really was what I thought it was. Yep a banana.
My first bit. The only thing I could think of at this point is, "I hope my face does not show what I am thinking, "Oh I am so in Mexico."" I ate it and guess what even though it looks so disgusting I actually liked it. Yep, I liked it so much that I had a second bowl. With bananas, chucks of eggs and all.
So if any of you are brave enough, let me know if you would like the recipe for Lentejas or "Banana-Egg-Soup" renamed by Rebecca only for the looks on your faces.







3 comments:

Serena said...

oh, I LOVE these bananas - most of all I love them in soup! Can I please have the recipe? I know they sell these bananas here in Utah sometimes and I could totally make it!

Anonymous said...

I like plantains--if that's what you would call those other bananas. Maybe you can make it for us next time you're here!

Heidi said...

Wow that looks... yucky. I'm sure it's good and all but it looks...you know...yucky. And Daniel likes his bananas so ripe you have to eat them with a spoon? Yucky. But that's okay.