In H. Wallace Goddard book Drawing Heaven Into Your Marriage a phrase that struck me was, “The most important lessons I have learned about being a good person I did not learn on my mission, sitting in a High Priest quorum, or serving as bishop; I learned them in marriage.” The more I thought about this phrase the more I realized it was true for myself. And I am sure it will continue to be so.
About five years ago I prayed to understand the atonement more fully. It was less then a month later after that prayer the biggest family trial I had ever experienced in my life happened to be take place. I had to lean on the Savior for all His strength. I had nothing myself. I was completely broken. At times feeling like I would die then to prevail. However, with the Savior being so close we as a family were able to overcome that trial and learned many lessons during the process. I changed immensely from that experience and in many ways, for the better.
Family life and marriage can be difficult but if we look at it as a refining fire then we can change into something greater. This will help us look out or loved ones differently. We have to loving our spouse as they and we are learning to be more like the Savior. It is truly a way to become more like the Savior himself.

No comments:
Post a Comment