Friday, December 13, 2019
Money and Life
My husband is great at managing money and has been for years. We have saved money throughout our marriage and we do not pay for things with credit. Each month we put a little away for an emergency fund. This has been useful a few times in our marriage. For example when my brother, niece and nephew passed away I was able to purchase a ticket for the next day to go to be with my family. This mentality has also helped us to not loose money on paying interest and has sometimes even gotten us a better deal for paying with cash.
I grew up selling eggs from my chickens that I owned, making and selling loafs of bread, and babysitting. My parents taught us to pay our tithing and that all fun things that we wanted to do had to be paid for with our own money. However besides that, my parents did not teach us anything more about money. I don't think they themselves knew much about how to use money besides balancing a checkbook.
When we first got married I did not know that much about money. I was the typical young student who had bought into the lie that debt was just a normal part of life. I had taken out student loans for school, a small car payment and credit card debt. My husband and I worked together to pay off all my debt and it took a year or two.
With time we started to save up money each month and living off of one pay check while saving the other. After ten year of saving we bought our first home out right. It's not a mansion by any means but it works for us. I am grateful that my husband learned how to make money work for him. It has made our path to self-reliance much smoother. We still have more to do. We need to get a will done and get a life insurance plan on my husband. We also want to continue to save so we can go on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as a couple when my husband retires. I look forward to that day.
It has been a journey as we have learned to go against what is the norm and not be in debt. If anyone wants to get out of debt I suggest using the Dave Ramsey plan. I am not getting a kick back for writing this except for the gratification of knowing that something that worked for us can work for you if you wish to be free. I will attach his page down below for those who might be interested.
https://www.daveramsey.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment