Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Being a Disciple of Jesus Christ

1. Read Luke 10:38–42; 11:1–13; 12:13–40; 13:23–24; 14:16–33 and the institute student manual commentary for Luke 11:5–13, “The Parable of the Friend at Midnight” (p. 115). Make a list of what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ and what the Savior taught about counting the costs of following Him.

Sat at Jesus feet and heard his words. (Luke 10:39)
Chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away, (Luke 10:42)
Ask and it shall be given you, seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you (Luke 11:9)
Beware of covetousness (Luke 12:15)
Rich of God (Luke 12:21)
Seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Luke 12:31)
Give alms (Luke 12:33)
Strive to enter in at the strait gate. (Luke 13:24)
Lord it is done as thou hast commanded (Luke 14:22)
Doth not bear his cross, and come after me cannot be my disciple (Luke 14:27)
Sitteth not down first [or plan] (Luke 14:28)

2. Identify one of the teachings from your list that you would like to apply more fully in your life. Write a paragraph about how you could apply that teaching and what difference you believe it would make in your life.

“And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:27)
I would like to work on this teaching of bearing my cross because it would show to the Lord that I will be humble and do His will. If He wants me to struggle with the problems I am facing even though they may be hard it is for a purpose and will one day help me to either help another or will teach me traits that I must have before I can enter into His presence. I will have a better attitude about the trials I am facing and I will look upon them with an eternal perspective.

3. Read Luke 14:33; Omni 1:26; Mosiah 2:34; Matthew 13:44–46. Explain in writing what is ultimately required to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.


We must be willing to give all to the Lord. All we have; our time, energy, and talents to the work of the Salvation. 

No comments: